Pages

Monday 16 April 2012

Hearts and Roses Wedding Cake

I got married last week and because it was such a small intimate wedding wanted to do as much as possible myself (with a lot of help from my Mum of course!!) and when it came to the cake I didn’t really know what I wanted but was excited by the challenge!

I decided that I would make a round 3 tiered cake even though there were only 12 guests, but I thought a quarter of a cake per person was probably about right for my family of beasts!! I think technically the cake could have served 90 but I wasn’t going to let a technical detail like that put me off!!
I opted for three different flavoured sponges; the bottom layer was an orange cake with a lemon buttercream, the middle layer a chocolate sponge with a pistachio buttercream and the top layer a coffee cake with coffee buttercream.
The theme for our wedding was sweethearts and roses because my eldest daughter is known to us as ‘my mummy’s sweetheart’ and my youngest daughter as ‘our little rose’ and we wanted everything to have a bit of a vintage look as well.
So a few days before the wedding, my Mum looked after the girls for me so I could bake in peace and slowly but surely the vision for the cake came together. After numerous hours googling wedding cakes I had merged all of the things I’d seen and liked into our cake. A huge factor in the design was that I had to get the cake all the way to Brighton, so decided that it would probably travel best in separate tiers and then be assembled on site. This meant that I had to be super organised with repair kits and spare parts in case anything broke en route, but to my amazement and despite a few hairy roundabouts the cake arrived completely intact!
We had a wonderful wedding day and in fact even my family couldn’t quite get through 3 tiers!!






2 comments:

  1. so blinkin' gorgeous!! well done!!!! I don't know how you dealt with the pressure of 2 toddlers, a wedding and making that! You are incredible!

    ReplyDelete